Winter is coming ! ☃️ Pyjama pants for everyone ! In our case, that’s means for my husband and I 😉
A while back I made some sleep shorts for both of us (the post is here), and I am going to use the shorts pattern to create a Pj pant pattern, simply by lengthening the leg. Below are the fabrics. I am going to use this sheep print cotton fabric for my husband.
We are going to start by tracing the shorts pattern onto a piece of craft paper. If you already have your inseam measurement, mark the length. If you don’t, measure your inseam (crotch to floor measurement). You can also create a pattern from one of your favorite pyjama pants as shown in the tutorial at Melly Sews.
My 1cm (3/8 inch) seam allowance is included in the pattern.
Now you have to cut out your pattern and cut out your fabric, buy folding it right sides together. I made a front pattern and a back pattern. You’ll need two of each. I’m not sure if you have to make a front & back given that the pants are usually very large.
If you intend to have a color block hem, be sure to fold your pattern at the length you want. For the color block hem, you’ll need 4 pieces. I folded my pattern where I wanted the color block to start & created a pattern.
To assemble your pants, place a pant front & back panel right sides together, sew the inseam & then finish your seams. I trimed the excess fabric so that it looks neat. Repeat for the other leg and press the seams.
Place each pair of legs right sides together, aligning & pinning the crotch. Sew & finish the seams, trim excess fabric. (I used a pic from my pair since I forgot to take a picture of my husband’s pair. I must have got caught up in the sewing action 😜)
Once I was done, the pants seemed a little small, so before finishing the seams I had my husband try them on, and sure enough they were too small. I also made the legs too tight around the ankles, too tapered 😬 Oops! I was thinking about starting over, but didn’t have enough fabric, so instead I cut off the side seams, added a 10cm piece of the black fabric I used on the hem to each side, in order to make them larger.
For the waistband, I measured the waist of the pants and cut out 2 strips of 10cm wide black fabric. I wanted a 4cm wide waist band, so my width includes 1cm of seam allowance on each side. Sew the ends of your 2 strips together and press. Then fold in half and press, and fold over another cm & press (this will make it easier when you flip the pant to finish the waistband on the right side).
Unfold your waist band and pin it to the wrong side of the pant.
Be sure that the band slightly overlaps your initial stitching and top stitch the waistband. Be sure start & end your stitching leaving a 4cm space so that you can insert the 3cm wide elastic band in the waistband.
Once the elastic is in place sew the ends of together & insert the remains elastic and then sew the opening closed. Finished your pant hems & you’re done !
For myself, I used an owl print fabric and a hot pink trim. This time around the pattern was accurate. I used the same process as above, except that I decided to add white piping between the main fabric and the pink hem on the legs. This the first time I have tried to add piping to a project. On this kind of a project it is simple. I sewed in the piping before adding the pink hem.
To add you piping you’ll need a zipper foot. I cut strips of white piping the with of my pant leg adding 1cm on each side. Align the hem of your piping along the right side of you pant hem and baste in place. I stitched it in place.
Then take your hem and place it on top right side down cause you’re going to fold it back and press it. So, it should be a sandwich of main fabric right side, piping and hem wrong side. Sew them together.
One thing that I probably should have done with the piping, to reduce bulk on the side seams, is trim the piping to the edge of the seam allowance, which may have improved the alignment on the piping, but I’m happy with the result for a first experience with piping. If you do more elaborate overlapped piping, this is probably a good idea. There is a good tutorial on this at Closet Case files.
The rest of the assembly is the same as the first pair.
And you’re done 😊