The Dress is finally finished and I am very happy with how it turned out. After multiple test versions, (Version 1, Version 2 and Version 3) the “Robe de Star” (Dress for a Star) is finally here and I’m ready to go to a wedding.
Beautiful bright blue Silk Taffeta from Maison Combier, a Silk Fabric manufacturer from Lyon, France. Since Lyon has a long history in the manufacturing of silk, and I live in Lyon, I thought it would be appropriate to buy silk locally, from one of the last Lyonnais silk manufacturer’s and promote Lyon’s silk history.
- A v-neck princess bodice with the Belladone open back pattern
- a 1/4 circle skirt below the knee, with a picot hem
- a cotton batiste lining with a silk trim
- matching silk interfacing at neckline and armcyes
Here is how it turned out:
I had a hard time figuring out how I was going to manage the cotton lining and interfacing for the bodice, so as not to have too much bulk. I ended up sewing a full cotton lining and attaching the interfacing on top. I understitched the interfacing to the seam allowance and then invisible stitched the interfacting to the lining so that it would stay put. It looks great! No bulk and everything stays in place.
I am particularly proud of the invisible zipper, which, for once, is truly invisible, and the alignment of the waistband is spot on.
My sewing professor suggested adding a 15cm trim of taffeta to the hem of the skirt lining, so that when I move around you would see the same pretty fabric, instead of a drab white cotton lining.
It did take a couple of versions to get here, but I am very happy with the result. I have a dress made by me in a beautiful luxiouriuos silk and it fits me like a glove. Who could ask for anything more 🙂
And for the final touch, with some taffeta fabric scraps I sewed up a pocket square and a bow tie for my husband too!