The Dress : Part 3

0
188

I started the process with the intention of sewing a Belladone dress, but the project is evolving.  I made a first version here, which confirmed that the princess bodice is a better fit for me.

The linen dress

This linen version allowed me to test :

  • The Belladone open back pattern drafted for the princess seam bodice,
  • the volume of a 1/4 circle skirt,
  • the addition of a lining
  • side seam pockets (a last minute edition)
The linen dress – back

I think it turned out pretty well.  The linen was a little difficult to work with, especially for the upper back piece which was lined with the same fabric.  The upper back piece is supposed to overlap, so I need to draft a larger pattern.

Upper back detail

I followed the instructions on how to insert a side seam pocket in a seam with a zipper here.

Side seam pocket

For the lining I used a batiste cotton. I struggled with the, but it didn’t turn out all that bad.  I do have to do a better ironing job, though so that it doesn’t pop out when worn.

The lining
Bodice lining

I hemmed it with a picot stitch on my serger.

Overall, it turned out well, despite several attempts to include the lining. I do need to make some minor adjustments to the upper back pattern and I’m not sold on the scoop neck.  I like the skirt. I think it’s very flattering.

Stay tuned, The final Dress is next.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here